Recreational Shock Value

Have no fear, because hopefully I won't

My Photo
Name:
Location: Logan, Utah, United States

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

We Pray For You

There are actually vary few people in this world whom I truly and completely respect. The Cat in the Hat, Sports Star, The 15+, Indiana, and Van Gogh probably fill the list. I've been in close contact with most of these people for a while, I've been able to see all of them recently except for Van Gogh, who I haven't seen or talked with for over two years or so.

I still remember when I first met him. I was walking in the MTC going back to get my luggage and I heard my name yelled out "Elder Stuff!" When I looked over I saw Van smiling at me as he proudly announced that he was my companion. Over the next two years Van Gogh and I saw each other regularly and spent a good deal of time together. I left him on the other side of the world but knew we would see each other again.

The next time I heard from him was via announcement to his wedding reception. As soon as I got up to him in the line there was a huge embrace just as you might expect from long lost brothers, but then I went off my own direction and he went his.

A week ago as I was working on a puzzle of fitting four desks, two tables, two file cabinets, and some other things into a rather small office a fellow walked up to watch the show. I noticed him out of the corner of my eye and with a huge smile shouted out his name, "Van!" We exchanged phone numbers and have made plans to have dinner together at his place.

I'm excited to tell him about some of my achievements since I left him on the other side of the world. I've been an elementary teacher, a door-to-door salesman, and a carpenter. I've earned my associates and graduated from institute (and I'm working on doing it again.) Together Van Gogh and I learned a new language and then we both learned two more. Since then I've been working on learning another two. (That means that since I've met Van Gogh I've learned five different languages, and that's not including any dialects.) Certainly he's had some great achievements himself, who knows he might have a couple of kids now. This will be a great opportunity for both of us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

It's nice to have those amazing friends that you don't have to see all the time but you're always excited to see and you just pick up right where you left off from the last time you saw them. I'm planning to go to a wedding in Washington in a few months for one such person.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home